Sunday 24 January 2016

Thick Vegan Pancakes




One thing I was worried about when we started our journey becoming vegan, was pancakes. It's mostly a Sunday thing for us, lots of fruit, honey, lemon, and bacon. 

Well bacon was out, as was honey, what about eggs and milk. So I thought well I will just leave out the eggs and try some of our other milks. 


They where the best pancakes I've ever made, kids and husband said they where amazing and they where gone in a blink of an eye.


Ingredients:

1 cup of self rasing flour
2 bananas (I normally just use one)
2 apples (I normally use one)
1/4 of sultanas (some times I leave them out sometimes I throw in a bit more, experiment with what you throw in. Things like pineapple may work.)
1-2 cups of milk (I just pour it in till I get the consistency I like) when cooking for the kids I use soya +1, if using coconut milk make sure you put in a banana. Today I used unsweetened almond milk.

Toppings; 

Go nuts....most things work. In place of honey we use golden syrup. Fake bacon sometimes, lemon and sugar, strawberries are always a big hit too.


Mix the flour and milk first, till all lumps gone. I love doing this by hand, but the mini people where really restless so I got the mixer out. 


Peel and grate the apples, cut up the bananas really small. 


Put the liquid in too. 


Mix all together. You can add seeds and crushed nuts too if you want. 


Mix, depending on how you like your pancakes, as to how thick you make your mixture. For thick pancakes think of cake mixture, thin think of gravy. 


The pan is so important, this is my favourite as its large. It's well seasoned through everyday use. For the best pancakes you need to work 'hot and fast' it make take a few goes to get it right, today with my three year old trying to steal all the bananas I had to give in and use some oil. The best way is to get the pan hot and dry, but it's ok to use oil or water. 


This is my set up, so I can work fast. Pile al the pancakes on top of each other, this way they keep warm till you are ready to serve. 


The size of your spoon helps with the size of your pancakes, larger the spoon the bigger the pancake. 


Once flipped I squash down the pancake. 


Yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment