Tuesday 25 July 2017

Silvercross Pram

Our little girl has just turned three, she has hypermobility. 
She is still a little wobbly on her feet and gets quite a lot of pain when she walks for a long time. The sling has been amazing (we have a full buckle) we use it most days.  

She has refused to sit in a buggy for a long time now, so for shows (lots of walking and we are often dressed up) the sling doesn't suit us. 

So I asked around my friends to see if anyone had a retro pram they could lend me for a 1940's event we where going too......

My all time dream pram was a Silvercross coach built pram. They are beauitful, and a dream pram since I had a mini coach built pram as a child. I never thought I would be able to afford one, they have always been priced well out of my reach. 




My friend just happened to have one in my budget (he is amazing, thank you so much, making my dreams come true!! Big thank you to hubby too for my early birthday gift!!) So over the moon, my dream pram just about fitted in the back of the car!!


Not only is it amazing, but after lots of digging and lovely facebook forums, we have worked out its a 1940's pram.


A Slivercross Sheraton! 

I love it so much, its light to push and still manages to feel like a safe tank (people move out of its way.) You cant get anywhere fast, as so many people stop to remember their prams, or comment on it. 


It needs a fair amount of work, to get it up to scratch but to get using it straight away, I gave it a good clean! 


A good hose down and scrub! Leaving her to dry in the sun. Our little girl hates buggys so much, I didn't want to call her 'pram' or 'buggy' so came up with the name Puddle Duck. Its worked so far and she loves to sit in her and watch the world go by! 


So on my 3rd and last baby, I have my dream pram! Even if we only get a summers use out of her, it will have been worth it! My idea that we would sell her on when Dot became bored of her has gone out of the window.....I don't think I could ever part with her now! 


The first day I brought home Puddle Duck I just had to take my little one out for a walk. Hot nights and cutting teeth has meant very late nights....so a walk in the fresh sea air should fix that...



If we stopped for too long to talk to someone excited to see the pram she would get out and walk a little ways.


But in the end Puddle Duck won! Dot is so snug in her, with lots of room! 


Doing up Puddle Duck

First job was a big clean, as it was a lovely warm day, I hosed her down. 


Then a warm wash with lavender oil (the water was black afterwards!)

After that I used coconut oil on her hood and straps. 

Then started on sanding down with the wire brush. 


We needed to use her that weekend, so it wont be till this weekend that I really get to work on her! 


Part one:





If you are interested in these style of prams, make sure you bookmark this page as I will sharing doing her up and our adventurers. 




Can you fit a 1940's pram on a bus.......JUST!! 

We where court out today with the beautiful British summers......aka down pour of rain, three kids, no rain coats, broke two of my 'just in case' umbrellas! With about 2 miles to walk home we waited in the bus stop in the hope that we could fit on. Huge thank you to a lovely bus driver who was very kind in waiting the extra minutes to allow us to get on. The minis thought the bus was amazing!!


I just have to add, how easy she is to push, and carry all our bits and bobs. She kept my little one, far warmer and dryer than my modern one had (my little one hates rain covers, they are never a perfect fit.) Even in a huge down pour, she was dry under the huge hood and Puddle Duck, with just a blanket over her, dried out really quick! 


Part two:



Lots and lots of scrubbing to get her ready for a coat of primer! I didn't want to make her look brand new, or repaint her coach. I like her little dents and don't have the skill or time to make her prefect. Just, as always, usable ;)

Keep an eye out for part three......






  

No comments:

Post a Comment