Monday 6 March 2017

Summer Days - Picnic sets

I've always wanted  a vintage picnic set, there is something really magical about them. The idea of relaxing, laying out on a blanket, maybe even a bottle of bubbly on a summer's day! So yes, I have kept my eye out for one for years. 

When we brought Daisy our 1969 Caravan, almost everyone we knew had these beautiful picnic sets out on show at events. I wanted one so much I started a pinterest board just about them! Click here for the board.

If you have read my blog about my top tips for camping and caravanning with kids, (click here for the link.) You will have read one of my top money saving and making your life easier tips, is to make a pre-made lunch. When we are away in Daisy, and getting ready for the day, while making breakfast I make us all lunch. At the moment packing into what ever I have to hand.......If you have followed me for a while you know I don't buy things for Daisy just to look good at events. So what ever picnic set I went for would have to work for 2 adults and 3 minis. 

1960-60's set are pretty bountiful, lots on ebay and at all the vintage events we have gone to last year. Mostly they are suit case style, and a set designed for 2. Sets of 4-6 are a little harder to find. They, as with all retro things, range in price, from about 30-150. Depending on condition. 

I have been watching, lots and lots on ebay. Waiting for the right one to come up. So often I have seen them up for sale for 45 with damaged boxes, missing parts and not the right colours for Daisy! 

At last......I found the perfect one...





The mini's where so excited when it arrived and started playing 'tea parties' straight away!





I found this little amazing set on ebay, I have no idea why no one out bidded me! I managed to get it for the amazing price of 19!! So it was worth waiting for the right one. 

Not to much damage, lots of cleaning needed!





Warm soapy water, and lots and lots of scrubbing. There was some left over glue from straps inside. I socked it for a while and scrubbed. Then very carefully I scrapped away the glue with a knives.


Lots and lots of scrubbing!



Lots and lots. It didn't show how dirty she was, but wow, the colour of the water was horrible! 



As she was going to have food in her, I left the lid open for a few days to give her a really good air and scrubbed! (Also with some disinfectant!)



Anything I thought would make it out alive, went in the dishwasher. Its the perfect size for us and I cant wait to use it! There a few things missing, like knives and forks. 



Even though the china is pretty and fits well, I don't like it! 



So along came poppy! We use our 1960's set of J&G Meakin 'poppy' in Daisy and it works so well!

 Its easy to swoop out things and replace damaged parts so don't worry. I also oiled all the straps with baby oil and used wd40 on all the movable metals. 



Its well worth the few hours it took to get her clean and ready for summer! I will update this blog with photos of her in action over the next few months!



At last my plates have arrived....but....when you collect something, you may find the same - 



Ordered more salad plates, same make, same size.......very different! 




Just the knives and forks to go and she will be complete!! 





I cant wait to get using our 1960's beautiful picnic hamper/suitcase! Its a very warm spring day here and am very much looking forward to filling this with sandwiches and nibbles! My amazing mummy found me some family 1960's knives and forks! Perfect! 







No comments:

Post a Comment