Saturday 4 March 2017

Tools

So you have just brought an amazing retro/vintage caravan, 
and your about to start work on her! 

What tools are you going to need?


Here is my top list of tools, I have used while working on our 1969 Bluebird called Daisy - Click here to read all about her





Multi Function Tool
First power tool on the list is a Multi Function Tool, this was recommended to me by the Retro Caravan Club. Its saved me so much time, I love it. 

Its mega easy to use! I've even used it on a few projects in the house too. Cutting out the rotten wood in Daisy, cut the new wood for her, sanded and helped me plumbed in a dishwasher in the house. 

I brought the Draper Redline Oscillating Multi Function Tool, Power Sander, Cutter, Saw and Scraper. 
Its well worth the investment, this is now my go to tool!





A Drill





A good power drill, this is depending on your budget. I started with a small cheap one, my neighbor laughed at me and lent me his super-duper cordless! 

A cordless is very handy depending on your set up. It can be easy to run power to your van but this may not always be the case, so if you can, go cordless. You will lose power on the most part by going cordless but it will make it easier too. 

I mostly use a drill for screwing in the many, many screws I used. So a powerful cordless was amazing at speeding me up and lets face it, it was cold, and I was always in a rush so saved me screwing in every screw by hand! 
I also had to make few holes in the outside metal of Daisy to replace her lights and grab handles. 




Steel Bristle Wire Brush




This wire brush has been so handy and I haven't even got under the van to scrub down the chassis yet! From scrubbing the A-Frame and polishing up the grab handles! 


I've just brought one to attach to the drill to clean up the metal bunk-bed we have been given for Daisy. I will let you know how I get on with it!





Awning Rail Spreader
Another little handy item was an Awning Rail Spreader, this is due to her awning rail needing a little work. 






Measuring Tape





Yes I do have the traditional measuring metal tape too, but this fabric measuring tape as come in so handy. Due to the small size of Daisy to work in and having to work around fitted items, this style of tape has really helped. 




Random Orbit Sander



Another recommendation from Retro Caravan Club, as am going to need to sand down the outside of Daisy before we repaint. Shes made of aluminium, this style of sander wont damage her metal. (Use under 120g paper.) This is one of the next big jobs on Daisy so keep an eye out!!


So far so good!!




Capt.Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure





Since owning a retro caravan, my use of innuendos has grown! I was recommenced this product by my mother in law. Its well known in the boating world, and since asking about it on caravan forums well known and loved by caravan owners too! We are about to take off the awning rail so I will let you know how we get on with it! 



I used the following a lot: 

Philips Screwdriver, Hammer, Chisel, Hack Saw, Small Wood Saw, Duck Tape. 



Its worth in vesting in some googles, and trow away plastic gloves. 
I really want to buy some overalls too. Yes, a lot of my clothes are now covered in paint.......


I will keep updating this list as I keep going with the works on Daisy. Thanks so much to everyone for their help and advice. If I have missed something please email me or comment. 




Help support my blog with these affiliated links:


No comments:

Post a Comment