Monday 2 January 2017

Winter Camping

We are going to be camping for New Years Eve! Am so excited and a little worried. 

Three children under the age of 6. Our first trip out in May was the coldest I have ever been in my life, and even though this time we will have electric and a heater, am worried!




When we first brought Daisy, with no electric and no intention of putting anything in, I never thought we would be caravanning in Jan/Dec!! My mind has been changed, yes its cold, but the van was lovely and warm. We where snuggled up, wow the electric blanket was amazing. 

Daisy all ready the day before, beds all made and looking so snuggly!

I knew we would be arriving to the site quite late, due to my husband having to work New Years Eve. So I pre-made all our beds, with electric blanket in place and ready to go! I dressed all three mini people, in their new warm Christmas Pj's, (I was also in mine...No one noticed!) and we drove four hours into the night! We drove straight passed the campsite! We joined the Retro Caravan Club, back about Fed 2016. Their last event, was a New Year brake. New Year's always expensive and there is no way we could get a babysitter for it. My husband and I, have mostly spent it, in pjs and going to bed early. Well we did for 2016/2017 too, but this time it was in a field, with loads of our good friends we have made this year. The kids had the most amazing time, there where still all going strong after 10.30 but we where both knackered so took them to bed about 11pm. (They had got to that over tired stage where they are acting like crazy people!)


The party was held in the barn, and it was packed! 


In the barn with us all, where lots of lovely Classic cars too! 


We started our New Year, 2017, snuggled up in Daisy. She may have a huge to do list still to go, but it was so lovely to wake up, warm, with my family and knowing we where making real memories for them! It rained most of New Years day, so we made use of the barn, and got the kids running laps. We had a late start to the day (First lay in passed 7am in, well, as long as I can remember!!) so by the time, they had a morning of crafts and then a play in the barn it was almost time for bed!


Its amazing how much great food (with a little planning) you can make on just to two ring hob! 
Every time the whistle blows on our kettle, I get a flood of wonderful memories of caravanning as a child. It really is one of my all time best sounds to hear. 


Our first morning, we had a huge vegan fry up, our second we had bagels followed by a corn flakes. Now having a little mini fridge fitted into Daisy's wardrobe, it makes it a lot easier to store food. I do love to be without electric and mod-conds but I have got very used, very quickly to having a fridge! 


 For our last day, we where recommended Coventry Transport Museum WOW, it was not only free, but fab!! The mini people loved it, and there was so much for them to do and see. We both wished they had slowed down a little so we could look a little closer at it all though! (We missed a section as a lift was broken and the minis where warn out so we didn't go look for another way around.)


There where lots of things which court my eye. There where quite a few cars I would loved to have, but this one, now this one was my favorite! I must be getting to that time of life, where am walking passed sports cars, and falling in love with something like this! (I must have been stuck, in that time of life for about the last 15-20 yrs, as I love them!) Something like this would look so amazing pulling our Daisy!!


Am putting this place on some sort of list 'Places I must Return too' There was so much to see, and do. I would go just with Hubby, but they had everything so geared to all enjoying it, it really made it a great day out! From us, to our 6yr old, 4yr old and 2 yr old, there was so much to see! Did I say, its FREE!!


We would walk around and turn a corner to our children shouting 'WOW!!!" Everything, from Fire Trucks, a Caravan, Bus, Tank, Cars after Cars, and so many Bikes. I was really impressed with how much they had fit in, and how well thought out the layout was. 


It was such a beautiful day, the mini people had such a great time running about. As long as you have a good winter coat, gloves and wellies, you can play out in the fields for ages. Daisy was warm and cozy when we got back, put the kettle on and its pretty close to heaven! 


Whats so lovely about the Retro Caravan Club, its a bit like time travel. In our section of the field where so many different shaped, amazing vans. Looking at other parts, where just white boxes. I know people love their van no matter how old it is, or new, but looking around at all these old vans, knowing how much they are loved, is a pretty amazing feeling! 
Not only are all our vans different, we are all different, different ages, backgrounds but we all feel like part of a family. I really feel like I have made life long friends. We arrived in the dark, and we had a small team of people, not only helping us over the phone to find the campsite. Also hooking up our electric, helping site Daisy, without even having to ask for help. 
With three young children, excited to at last be out of the car, getting set up can be stressful but knowing there are such lovely friends waiting for you to arrive, is priceless! 


We heading home, after a fab weekend away with wonderful friends, knowing we had started our New Year in an unforgettable way! 


We belong to the Retro Caravan Club, for more information about them,
please see their website: retrocaravanclub.co.uk

We stayed at Victoria Farm, we would stay again, friendly staff and lovely views! 
If you would like more information check out their website: victoria-farm.org

We visited Coventry transport Museum, it was an brilliant free day out for all the family.
Please see their website for more information: www.transport-museum.com




Wishing all my lovely readers a very Happy New Year, may your 2017 be magic!  


Want to read all about doing up Daisy? Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment