Tuesday 19 April 2016

Renovating a Retro/Vintage Caravan - Nap Time

Before we brought Daisy, someone had removed all her mattresses and curtains. A real shame, as her mattresses may have been able to been saved. They are very expensive to replace! I've heard of something like Daisy costing £800-£3000 just for new mattresses! The cheapest way is to look for old/preloved ones. This may have worked for us but we had a tight deadline. So after looking into it, the best idea I was given was to cut to shape IKEA mattresses! 


I love going to IKEA, it's like a free play trip for the mini people. I haven't done it on my own with more than one of our mini people......I was a bit scared. Baby wearing and snacks, really helped!


They had a fab time and I even got to eat some lunch (warm too) while they played in front of me! 


While I was there, look what I found for Daisy!! 50p each! Amazing. Love them! 


I worked out all the sizes I needed before I went. (I lost my bit of paper while there, but it still worked out ok!) I had got all the mattresses and then headed for the clearance section. I found the perfect sizes (I hoped I was correct, as without my bit of paper I was winging it!) 40% off!!

Did you know you can ask for help to get out to your car, from check out? Really helped me!


It was a bit of a squeeze but I got them all in and both mini people where fasto as  soon as we left (thank you to the lady who helped me get the baby on my back after lunch!)


Lay them all out for 72 hrs (this had been done as brought from clearance section!)


Unzip!


Mark out where to cut! 


I had some help!


Cut, I used very sharp fabric scissors, old ones. 


Save all the off cuts! (I used the cut offs to make the smaller double beds mattress, I still have to make up some more bits, but coming back to that later.)

 Then zip them back up! 


From this....


To this! 

(Still need to cover the mattresses and the white pillows need to be covered too.) 


I made up, using the off cuts, one extra seat mattress. (I did this a temporary measure.) I folded the fabric like I would gift wrapping, and hand stitched it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment