Monday 4 March 2019

Meet Maggie


Maggie




Hidden in a back garden where she had sat for a good 25-30 years unused was the once very much loved Sprite Alpine. 


Here is a little sneak peek of one of my trips to try and collect Maggie


Where she had sat for 25-30 years
How she was left, ready to go, awning and camping stuff at the ready!

Hidden in the back garden

She had been loving looked after, and used very regularly. Till the age of her owners meant she was left unused. Sadly with the death of her owners, and with the sale of the house the caravan needed to be moved. She was inherited by such a kind and wonderful couple, who wanted her to go to a good home. Me!


It took me three attempts to get her back out on the road and on her way home to me. Unfortunately just like Margo, Maggie’s a-frame had started to rot where she sat. Her jockey wheel had stuck into its highest position. My first trip, I arrived in a 1970’s dress, not really the right outfit for the weather and job.... I had a good look round and saw some damage to the a-frame. Like Margo, I wouldn’t be able to see the full state of the a-frame till she had been lifted. I managed to at that point remove lots of the camping items inside, awnings wheels etc. This I knew would help me when I came to pick her up. 


Second visit, it was all about her wheels and brakes. Surprisingly her brakes where fine, and didn’t need the level of work (thank you Dan) that Margos did to get unstuck! 

Her previous owner was quite the engineer, a real old school do it yourself, with what you have sort of guy. He had made a winch to help get her down the small hill out to the road and back into her resting place at the end of her trips. A very clever man! So I did giggle to my self when I took off her wheels.....I really wanted to ring my Grandpa and show him photos. It was raining so I couldn’t get good ones, of the very interesting way he had got the wheels to fit.....



I was trying to remove the first wheel and was wondering why the socket wouldn’t go all the way over the bolt. It kept rubbing on the edge of the wheel, odd I thought, while working quickly in the freezing rain...they where not Sprite wheels!! They where so alike I hadn’t noticed till I spotted that new holes had been drilled in the wheels to fit the Sprite stud pattern!! Even the centre of the wheel had been pushed out to make it fit on....managed to remove it while giggling to my self at the level of safety (or lack of) and they cleverness of it!



When getting to the second wheel, I had even more fun and games. In order to not get the same problem of the socket not fully fitting around the bolt to tighten it, he had added a sort of washer. By washer I mean a bit of pipe, to push the bolt out way from the edge of the wheel. This meant it could be tighten but then I wondered how I would get this very old and tight pipe off! A bit of a job in the freezing rain but with the right tools and a bit of playing about I managed it. 

I had borrowed Stanley’s wheels (with a new set of tyres on) to go and pick up Maggie. So now her borrowed set where on and I had dig up out of the ground a little, I could take a look at her a-frame.....

Nope, not towing that!! Much more damage than I had seen on my first look. But I had got loads of the big jobs, wheels, brakes etc out of the way. So a-frame....I had two options, transporter (flatbed like Margo, which Dan helped me with) or weld her where she sat! Maggie was much closer to my home, so I rang my mobile welder. Hoping a patch job would be all she needed. 

The weather had started to turn and at last we where getting some sunny days! Yes I thought, no more rain.....

So today was the day I thought, sun was out and the lovely welder arrives....down pour....I mean rain!! I don’t know what it is about Maggie that every day I got to work on her it rained! 



Patch job done lots of messing about with garage doors and the amazing welder stuck about for a while and helped me push her. (click here for his contact details.)  I couldn’t have done it without that help so am truly grateful!! So the four of us, pushed her out of her 25-30 years resting place.

Out on the road she was at last!!! Big hugs all round, was such a huge achievement!! People had stopped to see this caravan coming out of the garage. Not many knew she was the other side of it, hidden in the garden! 


Hooked up to Ditto (my 1985 Volvo 240) she looked right at home as she had been towed her own life by an A reg Volvo saloon!! 

Lightening board on and a few checks and off I went, waving goodbye to the lovely couple who had given her to me. 

Back home, Ditto didn’t miss a beat getting her reversed onto the drive. A job I’ve not done before, almost into her resting position to be done up.....

So as you know, if you follow my blog, am a single mother of three children now. Am very used to getting on with things on my own, am very independent and am normally very, very careful....

It’s been a very hard few months, the house had a flood, and I’ve on my own moved and lifted everything in the house. I mean, huge furniture, washing machines, dishwasher.....I only the other day took two full of water radiators to the tip on my own. Having carried them from the back of the house...am pretty strong for my size and used to it. Well....am not sure what happened but Maggie slipped of her jack (I know, I know, how many times have I told all of you, AXEL STANDS) and some how the a-frame and caravan landed on my foot....

I landed, am not sure how I got the caravan off me, am covered in bruises...hurt my back, hip and shoulder....quick thinking I took a moment to just sit where I had landed and then hobbled into the house. Grabbed painkillers and drank a glass of orange juice. Thinking that would be good for shock...

Next a had a bit of a problem, the school run was fast on its heels and the car seats where out of the car. The amazing couple who had inherited Maggie had also given me a sideboard to hold records and two large sets of drawers. All circa 1960’s, knowing how much I love 60’s furniture. To get the car seats back into the car, these needed to be lifted and put in the house. I don’t know how, but I quickly got on with lifting/hobbling each one back into the house, then putting back the seats and then lifting each car seat into position. 

Then I drove to the shops to get their after school snack. Then drove to the school, parking as close as I could. Text my lovely friend who’s an osteopath and asked for advice...along the lines of hey honey, what’s good if you drop something heavy on your foot. Elevate and ice was her reply. Ermmmm I thought, ice.....chips it is! Thanks Sainsbury’s, along with the snacks I had also brought some frozen chips and they where perfect. 


The thought of walking/hopping into school started to feel quite overwhelming. So I sent a WhatsApp message to two of my amazing friends who where also on the school run. The title of the group message was ‘dropped a caravan on me.’ 

To which they thought I was joking, and like everyone I told there was a mixer of laugher and shock. I am truly blessed with the most amazing friends. I’ve had the worst year, but finding out who is really there for me has been wonderful. One of these amazing ladies is a first aider. She took one look at my foot and said she would be surprised if it wasn’t fractured and that I needed to go to a&e. That was harder to hear than the pain, the thought that I had broken my foot was terrifying. What on Earth would I do!!!

Some how these amazing ladies came up with a plan, one taking and looking after my three small people. Along with the other mums two, so that she could drive me to a&e. You know what it’s like, the waiting times can be insane!! Am not the sort of person who ever asks for help, am stubborn with my independence. So for these two wonderful women to have rallied round me was so huge. So many of my friends offered help that night and still are. Am truly blessed with amazing friends. THANK YOU!!!! 

Off to hospital I go, with a phone on low battery and a bag of frozen chips! 

Quickly seen and xrays. I think I was praying to God for my ankle not to be broken. What would I do without being able to drive, how could I work, alone with three children to care for, what would I do on crutches for 6weeks or more. I was pretty stressed out. Thank you so much for keeping me calm. Truly blessed with good friends. 

No brakes (thank God) but very badly damaged. Crutches for at least a week, gentle movements and no weight bearing on it! 

Am not going to lie, making me use crutches is one way to slow this gal down!! I’ve had to ask for help, not something am used too at all. I don’t like being a burden on others at all! 

The caravan, Maggie is still in the position she fell in, waiting till next weekend for my lovely best mate to put her properly in place. 

So you will all have to wait for my update, video and tour, as am laid up on crutches for at least a week. I know, I know, am such an idiot and ever so lucky I didn't do anything worse!! 

UPDATE COMING SOON....


The tour:


1 comment:

  1. Totally in awe of what you are doing. looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete