Saturday 2 June 2018

Margo the Major


1967 Sprite Major 

At last I have my dream van, the perfect size for my family. She barely fits on the drive so as soon as she is useable she will head to storage as there is no way I can push her into position on my own. 


Here is the loveliest of people who gave me my dream van! 





She has three areas of concern inside at the moment, a leak in the bathroom (above) which is due to the awning rail coming unattached in this area. 

Damage under the main large skylight, due to a crack, this has leaked down and damaged the berth/top of the unit and the wall. Am hoping this is a patch up and forget about it for now job.

Then the front drivers side corner, this is where part of the awning rail was pulled off by a ride on lawnmower. I have the awning rail but its badly twisted. Fingers crossed I can untwist and replace it. She will need new boards and possible frame at this corner. 

The main, huge jobs are the a-frame, and legs/corner steadies. The a-frame had lost her jockey wheel so had sat in the grass for years, this rotted through the frame. With the help of a wonderful friend I have a replacement jockey wheel and I have found someone who should be able to weld the a-frame. 

She lost a wheel and just had one remaining...




Its half term here, so I couldn't crack on with us much as I would have done. 



I have made a start though, yes am a messy painter but the tyre will be coming off ;) Thats one wheel almost ready (just need some black for the back.)

One more wheel to find, though my friend thinks they have one for me. She is currently sitting on the Alpine's renovated wheels and new tyres but they are too small for her (tyre size) 

One huge problem was the wheel nuts, they are an old size and I had been told hard to find replacements.... I only had the Alpines wheel nuts....two caravans and one set of wheel nuts.....


Then cleaning her one night (the minis where in bed) look what I found hub caps (sadly only one with an S on but will be a great spare) and the WHEEL NUTS!!! Over the moon and made my night to find them. It was going to be a big job to try and find some to replace them. So I spent my evening cleaning hubs and wheel nuts - rock and roll! So just need to save my pennies for new tyres and the a-frame to be fixed and she is almost back on the road! 


Look what else I found!! Cant get anymore retro than this guy!! (Don't worry will have new gas lines and be fully checked out before use.)



Am so excited as I have been collecting a fabric pattern I really love, thinking it would go in the Alpine, but having seen the seats of Margo it was a perfect match.




Its such a perfect beautiful 60's mustard yellow, I love it! All but two are damaged by leaks, but am hoping when placed that won't show. 

When getting vintage wallpaper for the Alpine (click here to read about her) I brought two sets with different patterns. The pretty flower pattern which matched the Alpine perfectly and a yellow pattern, which had 4 huge rolls! (which I didn't think I would get to use)

It was like it was meant to be as it matches perfectly, the colour of the photo doesn't show just how perfectly it matches but will give you an idea.
 

I can't wait for the moment when am packing all my family bits into the caravan ready to head off on an adventure. 




I had a few sheets in this pattern and I was upset at the thought of having to cut them up to use as curtains but it was looking like the only option. I had fallen in love with the pattern and started using on my 1950's bed. It looks fab with the dark grey walls. Then to my delight I found some curtains in the same patten! Yay!! 


Even though they where well made ones, I needed every inch to make the sizes work and the backing was rotting. Am going to re-line with blackout fabric, I used dim out in Daisy and the difference is amazing. Fingers crossed meaning mini people will sleep in a little longer too, also brilliant for those evenings when the sun is still streaming in. 

Am very excited that I have 3 single quilts in this pattern too, so the whole caravan will be matching ;)


I have managed to get a few jobs done in the evenings, like waxing and painting the drawers. Like I did on the Alpine, lined with the vintage wallpaper, which really catches the light. When they are closed you wouldn't know till opened. Gives a lovely pop of colour, makes old drawers a joy to use. 



Working hard one evening to remove the carpet and start the big job of cleaning her! 


Keep an eye on this blog for more updates about Margo the Major! 


No comments:

Post a Comment