Tuesday 15 August 2017

Retro Festival


This is the first time, we have got to go away child-free!! This was a big thing for us, a chance recharge our parent batteries and relax. (aka nap, sleep, drink a warm coffee and meal!!)

Retro Festival, I've been so excited about it, picked my outfits (1940's one and 1960's one) Hubby got dressed up too!


I know, the most cheesy photo you will ever see of me! Its much quicker to hitch up and go without three mini people..I did manage to leave the record player at home which really upset me! I love putting on a record in the caravan. 



****HUGE HUGE THANK YOU****

When we arrived, a friend took one look at our wheel and said there is something wrong. Before we could even start to worry that Daisy maybe unsafe we had four amazing friends getting their tool boxes out, getting off her wheel and making sure all was ok. Money cant buy you that kindness, thank you so much for caring!! Lucky shes safe but needs a little work, so we have a list and Hubby has been shown what to do. I cant thank them all enough for caring and helping. (Also thank goodness it was on our first child-free weekend as it would be been a nightmare with three excited minis in tow!)


All set up and ready for the weekend! 


To really feel part of an event its best to try and dress up! Am still not getting my hair right but on hand was my lovely friend who is amazing with hair (I've told her she should have a stall next year and I will pay her in vintage Tupperware!)


We had lots of fun, just relaxing. I found I really didn't take many photos or video, just relaxed! (Hair now sorted and sun out off we went for a look round.)


We spent a lot of our time just looking around the other vintage caravans, I think there was over 80 of them!! So we didn't even mange a good look at each one! 


One of the things I love about shows is looking around other peoples caravans, seeing their displays and getting ideas. After doing up Daisy (almost finished) I can see how much work some has put into another van! 


Am starting to feel like I have ticked off most things on my wish list for Daisy. Even found some fun solar lights for her canopy. I really didn't find many things when we looked around, a few things I liked but really didn't need so I was good and didn't over spend! My best buy was the sun lounger. I have been after 1-2 of them for ages. This one was a bargain but does need to be fixed. 


I think its become my Husbands new favourite place!


Daisy is such a family affair! Here is my Nana's 1960's table cloth, one of her retro towels, and a 1960's coffee set from my Great Uncle! We use this set in Daisy and when ever we are away. 




I made pancakes for bunch and people looking round the show asked me where I had brought them.......They where really shocked when I said I had just made them in the caravan.....

Yes her 1960's oven still works and is used every trip away. Many people think that the vans are only on display but I think all the ones in the club are used and loved, just for trips away! She is very much a family van, used and loved. So don't look to close, as the paint is not perfect, she still has a few dents and a little work still left to do! 



On the first day I showed her with her dinning room table, set up for dinner for two! Nothing we have is just for show, our clothes are in the suitcase, our food is in the amazing cool box, which still works so well!! This is another one of my Nana's table cloths, I love it! Am so excited as I have found some fabric which should work to cover the her benches/beds. These are retro sheets covering them at the moment but the colour is all wrong! 


On the second day I thought it would be nice to leave up the main bed so people could see it! Its a huge 6x6 foot bed, which is way nicer to sleep on than our current bed at home! (Our 5 year old Ikea bed has fallen apart and the mattress is terrible with springs sticking out, so I have just brought a 1940's bed! Am very excited about picking it up!) I love retro sheets, you just cant get these amazing patterns anymore! 


Shows with three small people can be lots of hard work, trying to keep things looking 'show' and getting them not to move the display things (which is hard for them as its just our everyday things.)

So for the first time, we both just relaxed. I found it really hard! I had ants in my pants, as they say, I just couldn't sit down! 


Without children asking for dinner, and relaxing so much we didn't have much of an idea what the time was.....we eat dinner very late. I must say it was lovely! I managed to make quite a complicated meal, of tofu Kung Po in the caravan! I was very impressed with my self and it was amazing. 
We don't get to sit in Daisy and have dinner late at night, as the mini people would be sleeping! So it did feel like a real treat! 


I love seeing everyone dressed up!


I went for 1960's on day two, this is one of my everyday dresses. Its so easy to wear, I love it! It just happens to be 1960's. Am still working on my hair.....I think I need to spend a night looking through youtube! 


People loved Daisy's kitchen garden! Its so easy to grab some herbs to throw into dinner while cooking in her. It also smells amazing! 


I cant remember the last time my husband and I sat down to a warm meal in the morning together, just us. It was lovely to relax but we missed them loads.


It was great to show off some of the things we have collected for Daisy. As you can see, I need to finish the shelf, but think I have come up with a plan now as to how to do it (I couldn't find the right wood!)


It was lots of fun to look round all the caravans, cars, and stalls! 


Am working on my pile of blankets! I would like at least one for each of us. So only another three to go.....I have at last started on one! 


It was a lovely, relaxing weekend. 



**Video of our weekend**




Daisy is looking just a little different, these photos are a year apart at the same event. Not many more jobs to go till she is 'finished' am very proud to be showing her, and how far we have come! 





No comments:

Post a Comment